• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Intrigued
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Dec 2003

DLL CustomBeep - Intrigued

I finished some reading tonight and I noticed some interesting code.

So, I created a simple DLL to utilize such for us in AMS 5 (Pro version only, due to the DLL 'call' (call = to use)).

This DLL will allow you to create (in Hertz) simple (low to high, hight to low pitch for example) sounds through your computer's speaker.

Please note that by clicking on the buttons in the project (when you Preview (F5) it), you should hear some sound straight away!

[Edit] Touched up the documentation a bit
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Intrigued; 07-03-2005, 09:40 PM.
    Intrigued
  • Intrigued
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Dec 2003

lmao... I just tried this 'call' on the DLL and feel that it sounded like those whistles that were big a few years ago.
    Code:
    DLL.CallFunction("AutoPlay\\Docs\\DLLCustomBeep.dll", "BeepUp", "[B]0,200,1[/B]", DLL_RETURN_TYPE_LONG, DLL_CALL_STDCALL)
    Intrigued

Comment

• Intrigued
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Dec 2003

lol... last one (wife's telling me to QUIT!)

This one sure sounds like I'm playing Frogger(C) again.
      Code:
      DLL.CallFunction("AutoPlay\\Docs\\DLLCustomBeep.dll", "BeepUp", "[B]5,10,30[/B]", DLL_RETURN_TYPE_LONG, DLL_CALL_STDCALL)
      Intrigued

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

I couldn't figure out the frequency scale there enough to do anything elaborate, but here you go, your first musical composition with the new .dll. I bring you, "The Volga Boatman".
        Attached Files

Comment

• Intrigued
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Dec 2003

LMAO!

That's pretty cool!

:yes
          Intrigued

Comment

• Intrigued
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Dec 2003

This one is titled, Calling all cars!

Code:
            	DLL.CallFunction("AutoPlay\\Docs\\DLLCustomBeep.dll", "BeepDown", "0,50,20", DLL_RETURN_TYPE_LONG, DLL_CALL_STDCALL)
            	DLL.CallFunction("AutoPlay\\Docs\\DLLCustomBeep.dll", "BeepUp", "0,50,20", DLL_RETURN_TYPE_LONG, DLL_CALL_STDCALL)

DLL.CallFunction("AutoPlay\\Docs\\DLLCustomBeep.dll", "BeepDown", "0,50,20", DLL_RETURN_TYPE_LONG, DLL_CALL_STDCALL)
            	DLL.CallFunction("AutoPlay\\Docs\\DLLCustomBeep.dll", "BeepUp", "0,50,20", DLL_RETURN_TYPE_LONG, DLL_CALL_STDCALL)

Intrigued

Comment

• Brett
              Indigo Rose Staff Member
              • Jan 2000

Heh. Pretty cool indeed. Does anyone remember "drive music" for the C64? It would make your 1541 floppy drive play music... kinds reminds me of that.

EDIT: From http://www.oldskool.org/tales

"The Commodore 64's 5.25" floppy drive was (in)famous for being possibly the slowest floppy drive ever sold to the public. This was partly because Jack Tramiel (then President of Commodore) opted for a kludged software-timed serial I/O bus instead of the proven reliable IEEE-488. As a result, while the cost of the CPU and keyboard was kept down, the cost of the disk drive itself skyrocketted because it needed its OWN CPU and I/O hardware to interface with the kludged I/O bus!

Programmers quickly figured out how exploit the disk-drive's CPU. It turned out that this CPU could control the speed of the stepper motor which positioned the read/write head. When the head moved slowly, the stepper motor emitted a low frequency noise. When the head moved quickly, a high frequency noise was heard. It wasn't long before programmers took advantage of the stepper motor to generate "drive music"! Since the drive and computer CPUs could operate independently and simultaneously, stereo effects could be achieved in combination with the built-in SID (audio) chip."

Comment

• Intrigued
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Dec 2003

A friend of mine use to program for that platform. I'll have to ask him. That's to funny.

:yes
                Intrigued

Comment

• Corey
                  Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                  • Aug 2002

Beautiful. The world needs more music. I find it super interesting when people make music out of things which had never been intended to do so. That's my very favorite type of art, functional, quirky, and innovative.

Comment

Working...
                  X