• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alphaomega
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2005

Autorun Help

Heya guys I thought this created an autorun file a few KB but I am trying to make a menu come up so I can easilly select stuff instead of going through all the folders but I am about 1/10th of the way through and the autorun file is 100MB and it only copies the files I drag not none of the dll or cab files ? whats going on.
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Hi. If you add 100MB of files to a project, then the project size will be 100MB. If you need your project size to be smaller, simply add less files. Like any autorun program, AMS is creating a front end for your data, it has no control over the actual data, that is fully under your control. Hope that helps. :yes

The industry standard option for making files smaller is ZIP technology, so you might also want to look at zipping your data files, that can save you 5-10% or more... :yes

Comment

• alphaomega
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2005

ok so games out there now like Delta Force Black Hawk Down it has an autorun window with

Start Game
      Install Game
      Visit www.*********.com
      Download Direct X
      Downlaod Acrobat Reader
      Explore CD
      Exit

and the file is only 24 bytes how do I do something like that?

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Hi. Well there's no such thing as an autorun menu which is 24 bytes total. You are actually just looking at one file of many, i.e. "autorun.inf" from within the project. The total file size including the .exe which the autorun.inf points to will be much larger.

OK that being said, it's easy to create a menu like that, it'll probably come in around 1MB. Best way is to open AMS and start a new project using one of the pre-built software installer templates. It's self explanatory and pretty much ready to go. Hope that helps. :yes

Comment

• alphaomega
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2005

thats what I want a menu that when I click something runs it from the disk not in its own folder I dont want it to move the program just execute it.

I just loaded the software template and its just like when I done my won I drag and drop stuff.

I am makeing a disk with all teh software disks I got like Sound card drivers/video card drivers/power dvd software/microsoft office so I dont have to keep reaching for the different disks when I reformat my computer but cant because then I would have to drag and drop a **** of a lot more than the exe which would be a waste of time.

Whats the source folder thing it doesnt have an option for that in the new action wizard.

Also when I goto working folder the only thing it brings up is the CD_ROOT not E Drive or anything.
          Last edited by alphaomega; 06-27-2005, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

Hi. You can run programs from any drive on the computer, not just the autorun folder. All the File actions can be run on any drive, here's an example:

Please keep your language neutral in our forum, we wish to keep it a comfortable place for everyone to visit. Thanks. :yes

Comment

• alphaomega
              Forum Member
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Corey
              Hi. You can run programs from any drive on the computer, not just the autorun folder. All the File actions can be run on any drive, here's an example:

Please keep your language neutral in our forum, we wish to keep it a comfortable place for everyone to visit. Thanks. :yes
              Sorry didnt realise that was offensive on this board thx 4 the heads up.

Also dont understand whats on that page.

I was gonna enter E:\Super Disk\Sound Blaster\CTRun\start.exe but then I realised that if I burned to disk it would no longer be E: Drive.
              Last edited by alphaomega; 06-27-2005, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• Corey
                Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                • Aug 2002

Also dont understand whats on that page.
                No problem. OK try this, start a new project using the template "Software Installer". Try your best to figure it out, and then simply post detailed questions related to the specific points you are having trouble with as you go along, and I'll be happy to guide you through the process. :yes

FWIW It's pretty easy once you roll up your sleeves, I think you will be surprised at how quickly you figure it out once you start looking through the template project. There's a "Getting Started" guide built into AMS on the help menu also, it's actually very good. There's also an excellent "How Do I?" page here:

Hope that helps.

As for the E Drive question, simply use _SourceDrive to refer to "whichever drive the autorun was executed from", i.e.:

Comment

• alphaomega
                  Forum Member
                  • Jun 2005

ok I am having trouble this is the file I am trying to run

E:\Super Disk\SB Audigy\CTRun\Start.exe

on new action wizard I used File.Run and entered this _sourcefolder\SB Audigy\CTRun\Start.exe and set Waitforreturn : True and then output it to the Super disk Folder and tried running the shortcut and it did nothing ?

Can you tell me what I need to do I have gone through guides and the q&a section and am really confused

Comment

• Corey
                    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                    • Aug 2002

Hi. Try this:

File.Run(_SourceDrive.."\\Super Disk\\SB Audigy\\CTRun\\Start.exe", "", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, true);

When using slashes in actions, they have to be "escaped" by another slash, so for path names the working syntax is to always double slash. :yes

Comment

• alphaomega
                      Forum Member
                      • Jun 2005

oh man this is what happens when you dont get sleep for over 16 hours I forgot to mention the supder disk folder will end up being the disks name not a folder on the DVD disk I just extracted to Super disk folder name to save putting it all in the main e: directory.

Every time I make a modification I use Image Recorder on Nero Express to try the file out I can get teh autorun menu up but not the file I want it to run
                      Last edited by alphaomega; 06-27-2005, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Corey
                        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                        • Aug 2002

OK, no problem. If you can isolate it to a specific task/question I can certainly help you with that, but other than that I'm not really 100% sure what your scenario is...

Comment

• alphaomega
                          Forum Member
                          • Jun 2005

Ok cd name would be Super disk and lets say for example its f: Drive I would need to run the start program like this

F:\SB Audigy\CTRun\Start.exe

basically everything will be the same except on the DVD Disk there will be no Super Disk Folder the disk will be named Super Disk.

Comment

• Corey
                            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                            • Aug 2002

In that case you would use:

File.Run(_SourceDrive.."\\SB Audigy\\CTRun\\Start.exe", "", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, true);

Comment

• alphaomega
                              Forum Member
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Corey
                              In that case you would use:

File.Run(_SourceDrive.."\\SB Audigy\\CTRun\\Start.exe", "", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, true);

result = File.Run("_sourcedrive\SB Audigy\CTRun\start.exe", "", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, true);

Is that right or do I need to put \\ instead of \ because what I pasted is what I used and it isnt running the file I had no problem before when it was makeing it over 100MB but I dont want that I just want a link to execute the file from the folder which I cant seem to get to work

after I do it I put these files into an image
                              Autoplay
                              SB Audigy
                              Autorun.exe
                              Autorun.ini
                              Last edited by alphaomega; 06-27-2005, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X