• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobbsdan
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • May 2002

Help with inserting an object media player

Would someone please help with this problem. I am inserting an object media player to play and MP3 file. I have selected the show volume control meter. The problem is that it is in the lowest possible volume state as the default. This means everytime I play the song I have to slide the volume control up to hear the music. Is there anyway to change this default setting so the volume slider is on.

Thank you,

dan
  • hobbsdan
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • May 2002

Re: Help with inserting an object media player

I guess no one out there has experienced this problem. I have found that the slider for the volume when placing an object media player will be all the way muted or slid to the far right at full volume. I could not find a way to control this so my work around was to create new object buttons and forgo using the object media player. Has anyone else had this problem? I would really rather using the media player object. Anyone?????

Comment

• Corey
      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
      • Aug 2002

No, never... The volume slider on my media player defaults to the "last used" setting, which is the same as the "wave" setting of my sound card. AMS doesn't seem to affect that, but furthermore I don't think you should be cranking or reducing people's volume. You have no idea what sort of amp and speakers they have connected.

In my case I am running a studio reference amp on EV studio monitors so I certainly wouldn't appreciate someone arbitrarily affecting my sound card's volume since that may translate into up to 100W of unwanted volume in my case... Every now and then I come across a web page or MP3 with ridiculously loud gain and it causes a sonic boom over here, I try not to be arbitrary in my projects, "They'll figure out how to adjust the volume if they want it" is my philosophy...

My 2 cents...

Corey Milner
      Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• ruben373
        Forum Member
        • Jun 2002

I am experiecing the same (if not worse) problem.

When I insert Media Player Object, in run time it plays without
        any sound regardless of the fact that my Computer's default
        Volume Control is set to 50%, and that if I play any .mpg file
        independetly from AMS, I have no such problem.

During the beta test I posted several times about this problem,
        and asked for some kind of Auction Script to set the Volume
        Control at least to match the Computer's default, but it appears that IR completely overlooks the importance of this
        issue.

I like to insert MP Object without any controls, but I can't because if some of my Customers will have the same problem,
        there will be no visible controls to adjust Volume.

Of course the Customers can right click on the MP Object and
        adjust the Volume, but not every Customer knows that, especially if they are the kids.

I would like to ask IR Staff for HELP with this problem.

Can You guys design some kind of custom nice looking Volume Control slider and to attach the action script to it so
        it will pick up compluter's default Volume setting, and be able
        to adjust the Volume ???

Any HELP will be greatly appreciated !!!

Please HELP

Comment

• Lorne
          Indigo Rose Staff Member
          • Feb 2001

The thing is, even if you could adjust the volume...what would you adjust it to? You don't know what their manual volume knob is set to...maybe the user has the volume in Windows set to 1/10, because they have a ridiculously powerful amplified speaker setup. Set their volume to a "moderate" 50% and you could blow their speakers, not to mention their eardrums.

You have to look at these things from more than one angle. It's like wanting to save a file to the user's hard drive directly from javascript on a web page...there's a reason why that isn't possible.
          --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• eric_darling
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jun 2002

Don't play any unknown QuickTime, then, Corey. You can set a QT movie's default volume indpendent of any system-wide settings. That's the way it should be, anyway. Users can turn down their master volume for damage control.
            Eric Darling
            eThree Media
            http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• Corey
              Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
              • Aug 2002

I totally disagree Eric. I set my master volume to whatever I want it to for my environment. When the odd loud project shows up I simply close it permanently and shake my head.

If the goal is for your audience to be accepting of your message I personally think you shouldn't mess with their settings...

I have faith that my audience is capable of setting volume, mind you my projects seem to open with the volume at the default setting. So if this poster is having problems with that I can understand the concern.

Corey Milner

Comment

• Lorne
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Feb 2001

Well, yeah, changing the local volume of the movie is fine...but changing the system-wide setting isn't.

The thing with the AVI Object is, because it uses the MCI player control, AFAIK there is no local volume at all...it only uses the system volume settings.

As for the Media Player Object, I'm not sure what the difficulty was, but I do know this is something that was looked into during the beta, and IIRC there were technical reasons why it couldn't be done.
                --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• eric_darling
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Jun 2002

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean to mess with the Master volume of a computer. However, one should be able to preset the volume for a movie, which is also what I think other users are registering their complaints about as well. Currently, it seems that volume settings in AMS have no effect.
                  Eric Darling
                  eThree Media
                  http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• Corey
                    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                    • Aug 2002

OK I just tested it and on WIN98 SE it just leaves the volumes, both master and .wav at their "last used" settings.

As I say, personally I believe this is the correct way for this to work as I do not approve of boosting volume in any way.

If this isn't working as stated above on a user's system then that should be addressed...

Also, don't forget you can add a volume control to your menu as seen in the following post:

Corey Milner

Comment

• hobbsdan
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • May 2002

I have appreciated all the feed back. It is true about the volume control now that I see it from a different perspective; however, I am using this software for classroom presentations and not deploying CD's to other users. I know what my volume is set at so it would work great for me with the vol at a preset position. I have learned how to do that now and thank you all for the feed back.

Comment

• Corey
                        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                        • Aug 2002

Please post your method for doing this now so that other users can benefit from this thread.

Corey Milner

Comment

• hobbsdan
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • May 2002

This was the answer I was looking for and is what I needed to for and a few of the computers in my lab. Additionally, in windows ME if you leave the volume control on the media player in its "last used" setting the slider will remain in that position. This was the answer that I was looking for. Thanks Corey,

dan

Comment

• Corey
                            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                            • Aug 2002

OK glad you got it, but I'm still not sure what you mean by, "if you leave the volume control on the media player in its "last used" setting "

In my case there is no option to set the volume on the media player in AMS, and the volume on the system's media player, by very nature of the phrase, is always in the "last used" position...

So I'm still not sure how you managed to change the end user's volume, but I'm glad you're happy.

Corey Milner

Comment

• hobbsdan
                              Indigo Rose Customer
                              • May 2002

The end user in this case was me------and no one else will use this CD. This wasn't an issue of changing the volume in AMS. I didn't know that the slider remained in its last used position when launching windows media player. Once I knew that I was able to control where the slider would be located when I opened my AMS presentation. That was helpful. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X