• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan vanBiervliet
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2005

Any known problems with ogg files

I am in the process of completing (ok half way completing) my first AMS project (pro 5). It will be distributed in an uncontrolled environment with machines ranging all over the board as well as a wide range of literacy skills. I really like the idea that .ogg playback is built into AMS. (I am liking AMS more and more, although I am still at sorta frustration stage). I am currently planning on using the .ogg format for narration. I have converted my files from .wav using Sonic and they are much smaller and sound ok on my test machines. Does .ogg stress cpus (older ones) like mp3 or is there any other gotchas? I have searched the Forum database and read what is out there. I understand the computer sound world has lots of hidden issues, but I am really looking for the big ones to watch for (besides not having your speakers connected or turned on .

thanks and hopefully i will be able to add wisdom in the future.

Alan
  • Intrigued
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Dec 2003

This is a response by an I.R. member in the forums about a part of the .ogg support base (Because .mp3 can play on more players than .ogg) that gave relief to the main sticking point to using .ogg audio files in my AMS 5 Pro applications:

The point to remember then is, ...when using the built-in Audio actions.
    Intrigued

Comment

• Corey
      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
      • Aug 2002

Hi. FWIW from what I've seen so far .ogg is a pretty good format. I haven't seen any downside other than having to make sure the end user has the free .ogg codec installed. Other than that it's pretty much smooth sailing...

Comment

• longedge
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Corey
        Hi. FWIW from what I've seen so far .ogg is a pretty good format. I haven't seen any downside other than having to make sure the end user has the free .ogg codex installed. Other than that it's pretty much smooth sailing...
        That's something I wasn't aware of - I've never concerned myself about audio codecs and I've never had a problem.

Only contra I know of is that on mp3 players (mine's an iRiver H340) that support ogg there is a processing overhead which results in less battery life as compared to mp3's. There are more benefits though e.g. smaller file size for the same quality and ogg achieves 'transparency' at a lower bit rate (so the pundits say anyway) and open source to boot.

Comment

• Alan vanBiervliet
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jun 2005

now confused about use of ogg files

OK. I have read that the ogg codec is included in AMS. Now I assumed that this means both the editor and the player version. The response from Corey - "FWIW from what I've seen so far .ogg is a pretty good format. I haven't seen any downside other than having to make sure the end user has the free .ogg codex installed. " Has confused me. Do we need to include th.ogg codec or not. All I want to do is simply play and stop narration. Nothing beyond AMS stock audio control. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks

Alan

Comment

• yosik
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jun 2002

You DO NOT need to have an ogg codec installed to design AMS and certainly not to run a built project.
            That said, if you want to play ogg files outside AMS (to listen/choose them) and/or you want to convert sound files to the ogg format, you WOULD need a codec installed.
            Hope that clarifies the matter.
            Yossi

Comment

• Intrigued
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Alan vanBiervliet
              OK. I have read that the ogg codec is included in AMS. Now I assumed that this means both the editor and the player version. The response from Corey - "FWIW from what I've seen so far .ogg is a pretty good format. I haven't seen any downside other than having to make sure the end user has the free .ogg codex installed. " Has confused me. Do we need to include th.ogg codec or not. All I want to do is simply play and stop narration. Nothing beyond AMS stock audio control. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks

Alan
              Again, I point you to this post by an Indigo Rose member:

Intrigued

Comment

• Corey
                Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                • Aug 2002

Yes exactly, if the audio is exclusively within your project and you have no plans of allowing the user to access that audio outside of your project you'll be fine, but otherwise the user will need the codec. For example if you are using a File.Open action to launch an .ogg then the user will need to have the .ogg codec installed. As far as I know .ogg decoding is not extraordinarily CPU intensive. :yes

Comment

• Alan vanBiervliet
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Jun 2005

Thanks this clarifies and helps

Originally posted by Corey
                  Yes exactly, if the audio is exclusively within your project and you have no plans of allowing the user to access that audio outside of your project you'll be fine, but otherwise the user will need the codec. For example if you are using a File.Open action to launch an .ogg then the user will need to have the .ogg codec installed. As far as I know .ogg decoding is not extraordinarily CPU intensive. :yes
                  This is excellent and exactly what i was hoping. Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                  X