This is the ROI operator, may I help you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2001

This is the ROI operator, may I help you?

I am looking to glean ROI information from my new Realtor CDs. Where they go (on the CD), how long the end user was there, e.t.c.. I will not be getting any info on the end user or their system, I simply need to see this type of information:

Date & Time This Report was Generated
    Timeframe 07/01/01 05:42:12 - 08/04/01 06:51:12
    Number of Hits for each button
    Number of Page Views
    Average User Session Length of each area
    Activity Level by Day of the Week

If the end user was off line I need to save this info in a ini file or something until they go back on and then erase that file.

Should I go global or...

Any ideas would be great.
  • Intrigued
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Dec 2003

Bruce, I would give the end-user of the CD-ROM an option page (or popup) allowing them to "opt out" of such activities. Now, you could have the "opt in" checked for example by default, thus most would probable just keep viewing and allowing such.

This would be a good call also because of security products now on the market and those unknown in the future. You could get some folks upset by not letting them know of such activities, or worse some crazy lawsuit.

Again, you probable took this into account and this is just something to take into consideration.

:yes
    Intrigued

Comment

• Bruce
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Intrigued
      Bruce, I would give the end-user of the CD-ROM an option page (or popup) allowing them to "opt out" of such activities. Now, you could have the "opt in" checked for example by default, thus most would probable just keep viewing and allowing such.

This would be a good call also because of security products now on the market and those unknown in the future. You could get some folks upset by not letting them know of such activities, or worse some crazy lawsuit.

Again, you probable took this into account and this is just something to take into consideration.

:yes

Yep yep sure did. I just need to learn how to make an INI file to read later... Plus the other ideas I asked for earlier. Thanks for the heads up. :yes

Comment

• Intrigued
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Dec 2003

I was thinking about SQLite, then INI (as you put forth), and finally I believe a flat file (.txt for example) with the six (6) pieces of data stored in such... and this then would be the quickest and yet just as effective way to proceed:

Idea:

Copy such data into a flat file (.txt for example) one line at a time via for i,v in datatable do...end. Also in that for..end loop you can prefix or suffix any other data (like Date:, or Time:, etc. etc.).
        Intrigued

Comment

• Bruce
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jun 2001

Lets say we're trying to count how many times a program is started up using an INI file, say...

INIFile.SetValue(_WindowsFolder.."\\Realtor.ini", "1", "Startup", "1");

How would I add another an other to it if it was started again?
          Maybe...

result_startup = INIFile.GetValue(_WindowsFolder.."\\Realtor.ini", "1", "Startup");

with a if statement?

Comment

• yosik
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jun 2002

Bruce,
            Although a bit "brute", I would go the following way:
            1. Get Value from ini file
            2. Increment value by 1
            3. Delete section in ini file
            4. SetValue.

That way, you wont need a variable and an If statement.

Yossi

Comment

• Intrigued
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Dec 2003

I have the INI file (ini.txt) on my Desktop:

Code:
              INIFile.SetValue(_DesktopFolder.."\\ini.txt", "Startups", "Amount", "1")
              	strRtrnValue = INIFile.GetValue(_DesktopFolder.."\\ini.txt", "Startups", "Amount")
              		Dialog.Message("Starts", strRtrnValue)

strRtrnValue = String.ToNumber(strRtrnValue)		
              	strRtrnValue = strRtrnValue + 1

INIFile.SetValue(_DesktopFolder.."\\ini.txt", "Startups", "Amount", strRtrnValue)
              	Dialog.Message("Starts", strRtrnValue)

*Note: seems we found a bug. If you enter the data in the Popup box instead of the long form (just type from function begin to end) you the path is set to the docs folder and not the path you typed in!
              Last edited by Intrigued; 06-18-2005, 11:41 PM.
              Intrigued

Comment

• Intrigued
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Dec 2003

Here my sample .ini file. It'll put a visual for that other half of the project.
                Attached Files
                Intrigued

Comment

• Intrigued
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Dec 2003

Bruce, I updated this project file and now there is a custom function I wrote to help facilitate the incrementation of the count, for how many times the app. has been ran. I tested it and it seems to work good.

Intrigued

Comment

• Bruce
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Jun 2001

Thanks Intrigued! I'll take a look. :yes

Comment

• Intrigued
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Intrigued
                      Bruce, I updated this project file and now there is a custom function I wrote to help facilitate the incrementation of the count, for how many times the app. has been ran. I tested it and it seems to work good.

http://www.indigorose.com/forums/sho...41&postcount=4
                      Hmmm... I checked this file to make sure it properly uploaded and low and behold it seems to not (file has the same name, cache problem maybe).

I'll have to upload it again Bruce when I get home. Or, are you seeing the .apz with the function I had created?

Weird stuff...
                      Intrigued

Comment

• Intrigued
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Dec 2003

It looks more like I was tired (aye!) and just uploaded the old version (again) and not the newer version.

Here is *gulp* a link to the new .apz (with the function and changed code in the On Globals, On Show, and On Preload) and a .exe (demo):

.apz:

.exe (demo):
                        Intrigued

Comment

• Bruce
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Jun 2001

Thanks Intrigued :yes

Comment

• Intrigued
                            Indigo Rose Customer
                            • Dec 2003

No problem Bruce, sorry about the mix up. (I really need to force myself into the bed early)
                            Intrigued

Comment

• Bruce
                              Indigo Rose Customer
                              • Jun 2001

Intrigued-

I have your global and I placed this on the Project On StartUp:

fnIncrementStartupCount(_WindowsFolder.."\\realsta rt.ini", "startups", "times", "amount");

And I have this on Shut Down:

startups_result = INIFile.GetValue(_WindowsFolder.."\\realstart.ini" , "startups", "times");

connected = HTTP.TestConnection("http://www.indigorose.com", 10, 80, nil, nil);
                              if connected then
                              result = TextFile.ReadToString("AutoPlay\\Realtor\\who.txt" );
                              myvalues = {subject="Realtor Count",message=result,startups_result};
                              result = HTTP.Submit("http://www.diginetx.com/newphp.php", myvalues, SUBMITWEB_POST, 20, 80, nil, nil);
                              --File.Delete(_WindowsFolder.."\\realstart.ini", false, false, false, nil);
                              else
                              end

I am attempting to add the amount the project was opened in red. What I get is: Invalid key for next.

I would like to keep adding variables as I think of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X