• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhosk
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Aug 2003

Something to Share, Part 2

Show your stuff

This is a pretty simple app I've been messin' with. It captures a desktop snapshot and uploads the image to a server. Combines AMS, a dll, a third party scripting program, php, etc.

Curious to know whether it works on different platforms (other than XP Home). There's minimal error checking, so any feedback of burps would be appreciated and I can implement the error checking as we go. Here's the help file:

1. Click "Start Here" and follow the prompts
    2. Enter a name for the image - no extension (user name would work, but you can name it anything you like, *if the name exists, it will overwrite - this is next on my list)
    3. All Windows minimize and the capture.dll fires and takes a snapshot of your desktop
    4. Option to preview the snapshot of your desktop before sending - then close
    5. Prompts that the image is ready to be sent to the server
    6. Sends (via ftp) the image to a Gallery at my server
    7. Script ends by sending a http-Post (php) to tell the Gallery about the new image

Hit the WWW button and view all the Desktops

All prompts have a cancel out feature.

The more that play, the more interesting it becomes. Any suggestions back and forth would be great. I'll post the project, but to get the full brunt, you will need AutoIt (a free scripting program that has many functions/capabilities - most very similar to AMS). I will give you the raw 'ftp.exe' file (without my server info of course).

Just something that could have many uses with imagination thrown in. Ideas and feedback welcome

Let's see your desktop. Mine's a bit basic, but I'd bet that others are pretty flashy!
    Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures
  • rhosk
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Aug 2003

Here's the project file. I've incorporated 'command line' variables so that you can input your own ftp information. The ftp.exe raw script is also included to take a gander at. If you study everything, you'll see how it all works in a matter of minutes. For ex. - the Window's own wininet.dll is the control for ftp connection process.

Anything in that particular script can be command line initiated, so if you want any other variables (filename, Windows control, multiple files, etc...), let me know, along with any questions you may have.

Can't believe no one wanted to 'play'. Maybe desktop shots are top secret information The upload site is not public; I've only posted the app here at IR forum just for testing. Any feedback, negative or positive is still appreciated. The app has been downloded 38 times, but I don't know if it even works or not
    Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Corey
      Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
      • Aug 2002

My desktop is booooring. Plain dark green. I've kept it like that ever since the very first day I got a PC... I wouldn't insult you with a screencap. :o

Comment

• leebos
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Nov 2003

OK, you should have gotten one.
        The exe file version works fine but running tha apz version produces the attached error.
        System is XP Pro.

Lee

Originally posted by rhosk
        Here's the project file. I've incorporated 'command line' variables so that you can input your own ftp information. The ftp.exe raw script is also included to take a gander at. If you study everything, you'll see how it all works in a matter of minutes. For ex. - the Window's own wininet.dll is the control for ftp connection process.

Anything in that particular script can be command line initiated, so if you want any other variables (filename, Windows control, multiple files, etc...), let me know, along with any questions you may have.

Can't believe no one wanted to 'play'. Maybe desktop shots are top secret information The upload site is not public; I've only posted the app here at IR forum just for testing. Any feedback, negative or positive is still appreciated. The app has been downloded 38 times, but I don't know if it even works or not

Comment

• rhosk
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Aug 2003

Thanks leebos, had a variable 'text case' issue, fixed and re-uploaded.

Corey, not looking for style here, just diversity (along with testing the app to see if it fails anywhere). Yes, we've all seen your desktop before (training vids) and it 'tis quite boring. But, to each their own; throw the dark green up there....will blend well with the others.
          Attached Files
          Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• longedge
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Aug 2003

It fails on my laptop Ron - says I don't have a connection or server may be down? My connection is OK viz. this post so is it your server?

Comment

• Worm
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Jul 2002

If you're running the APZ then I got the same, but if you run the EXE, it'll run fine. I'm guessing that the source is missing some of Ron's login info for an obvious reason

Originally posted by longedge
              It fails on my laptop Ron - says I don't have a connection or server may be down? My connection is OK viz. this post so is it your server?

Comment

• longedge
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Worm
                If you're running the APZ then I got the same, but if you run the EXE, it'll run fine. I'm guessing that the source is missing some of Ron's login info for an obvious reason
                Yep - that's it. Microsoft Anti Spyware threw up a "do you want to block or unblock this?" but that was after the file had already been uploaded :lol

Comment

• rhosk
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Aug 2003

My Microsoft AS never alerted me, but ZoneAlarm did of course - weird.

The project file is modified so that you can 'roll your own' 3 variables is all it needs. If you have a server to upload to, on the "Start Here" button, input the server, your user name and password and it will upload the files.

I figure that there could be many uses for this. Ex., with an onTimer event, you could update a website in real time, or send a webcam image to the server at various intervals, send snapshots of what you're doing every hour or whatever, send contents of a directory that you maintain locally to the server, send newsletters daily/weekly automatically, etc...doesn't necessarily have to be a jpg file, could be anything.
                  Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Derek
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • May 2001

Originally posted by Corey
                    My desktop is booooring. Plain dark green.
                    Mine is usually plain dark black! so, equally boring.
                    Occasionally, i'll spruce it up a bit with a pic but it's not too long before it goes back to boring.
                    I think the main reason i stick to black instead of a pic is because the icons/text show up better.
                    -
                    = Derek
                    ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• Intrigued
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Dec 2003

Save for the icons portion... here is what my wallpaper looks like. Joy!
                      Attached Files
                      Intrigued

Comment

• Intrigued
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Dec 2003

And no, there is nothing exciting about that image, say... stenography, nope!

Intrigued

Comment

Working...
                        X