• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcgoo68
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2005

Web style database app

Hi

I am using AMS5 with SQLite plugin just now but not sure I can do what I need.

Currently I have a website product catalogue written in ASP running from an Access Database. We have 5000+ products and the website is set out in such a way that you can click a main category, then a sub category and then browse the products. Each linking to a detail page with pic and description.

Ideally I want to produce a CD with all this and working in a similar manner. I can create websites like this fairly easily using Dreamweaver MX but looking at SQLite I can't seem to get to grips with it for the purposes of a CD.

Is there an easier way to do this in AMS5? Is there like an IIS plugin or something I can use to distribute an ASP Web CD???? If not, can anyone suggest a good tutorial or starting point for me.

Many thanks
    Mick :yes
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

The best way to do it is to just serve your existing site through a web object because If you put your inventory data on a CD then your CDs will be out of date almost as soon as you finish them. That takes only fives minutes to set up, too...

But if you wish to have it all packaged as a standalone app on CD then SQLite is a good bet. It's not that hard to learn and there might even be tools out there to help get from ASP to SQLite. Other than that, there's no way I know of to run ASP from a CD-ROM. I have had some success running PHP from a CD though just by packaging the binary with my app. There's an example I posted of using PHP as a standalone technology in an app somewhere here in the forum if you search.

Sorry, wish I could be more help but I don't know ASP.

Comment

• ianhull
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2004

Hi, This should help

Dynamic-CD provides the services you'd expect from an Internet server - except it's on a CD.
      Use Dynamic-CD to produce CDs with processing power. Until now CDs could only display static HTML Pages. With Dynamic-CD, your CD can display dynamic content, just like an Internet server.

Scripting
      Catch and process <Form> and Query data, incorporate ActiveX components, customise your CD with Cookies, and track your pages with Session variables.

Database support
      Put a database on your CD and use Dynamic-CD's database support to generate HTML pages in real time.

Encryption
      Secure your CD with Dynamic-CD's encryption and password protection.

Dynamic-CD is a web server that runs directly from a CD, DVD, USB stick, or laptop to provide interactive web pages, using ASP, ASP.NET and PHP scripts, database access and with password protected pages

Ian

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

FWIW those are all things you can currently do using AutoPlay Media Studio 5.0. :yes

Comment

• ianhull
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2004

Corey can AutoPlay communicate with MS Access?

Is there any samples around?

Ian

Comment

• JimS
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • May 2003

Originally posted by ianhull
            Corey can AutoPlay communicate with MS Access?

Is there any samples around?

Ian
            Check out this thread:

Comment

• ianhull
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2004

Thanks Jim,

I did not know that this could be done.

Excellent work from you guys as usual :yes

Comment

Working...