• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Intrigued
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Dec 2003

DLL, boring yes, works yes! :-D

Here is my very first .dll. This can be done in AMS without the .dll. Bear in mind that I did this as an exercise and to show that I can build a .dll. I am using a registered copy of PureBasic and for an editor (instead of the one that ships with PB) jaPBe.

Worm, I hope you don't mind a little limelight. But, I owe Worm a big thank you! As he helped to steer me in the right direction of late with regards to creating this first, very basic, .dll. Thank you Worm!

Now, I'm looking forward to devling into Win32 API calls, working with DirectX, and much more in the next few months (or what ever it takes).

So much information its crazy, but I'll just take it one very basic .dll at a time.

The last couple nights I have read a lot, boy have I and compiled dozens of project files (for PB) and I am just amazed at what you can get at when you go "bear metal" or close to it style programming!

SEE: Attachment

:yes
    Attached Files
    Intrigued
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Nice. That's just awesome, I can hardly wait to see some of the stuff you come up with. :yes

Comment

• Intrigued
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Dec 2003

It may be a bit... I still have a lot of the basics to get down.

On another level it (programming .dlls or .exe's in another programming language) has me appreciating the power and yet simplicity that AMS 5.x offers without going through all of this coding to get a basic window up with buttons on it, or to create a useful .dll!

AMS 5.x+ is definitely staying in my developers, technicians tool box! (SF 7 won't get left out of the tool box either!)

Intrigued

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

Yeah I know, I've gotten started with Java, C++, and Visual C++ at least a half dozen times or more, but ultimately didn't have what it takes. It's a big hill to climb, but well worth it if you can handle it. :yes

Comment

• Intrigued
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Dec 2003

I appreciate that Corey, thanks. I have a hard time with quitting, I'm a stubburn old mule (well getting old anway). And though I thought I would be picking up my next C++ (the last was just plain bad) book to kick off the lower-level programming endeavors I spoke about over a year ago... it looks like this light-weight language may just fit the bill.

Eh, it's like a vehicle engine I figure... to look at it in its entirety it seems impossible to take apart and put back together. But, once you take it piece by piece, section by section it's not so insermountable.

Now, where's my wrench...

Intrigued

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

This book is *awesome*! I can't recommend it enough, the best I've come across for starting C++:

And this one is also superb for Visual C++:

It's not so much that I've quit, it's just that it fell too low on my priority list to spend time on for the next few years. I have too much work on deck already. Luckily that works out OK because my workload is fun and challenging, hopefully by the time I get back around to working on my C++ skills there will be new learning tools out... :yes

Comment

• Intrigued
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Corey
              ...it's just that it fell too low on my priority list to spend time on for the next few years....
              I undestand you there. When I started AMS I was really starting AMS and a couple other applications that I wanted to learn about.

Now, I feel pretty confident that it's the right time to move forward with the lower-level coding. My mindset is seemingly just prime for the starting of this long journey. It's about the time frame I had in mind. As far as my personal programming goals go.

There are a lot of sharp folks out there... I have found such out from a couple of Websites I have been really digging into and reading each post in threads that are hundreds deep!

The biggest caveat I have is... the information is scattered all around. It's not just the program being used to make the .dlls (like AMS 5 for applicatons, CDs), but as you surely realized... it's the information in the M.S. products, COM Automation, Win32API, etc. etc. that is daunting. I need a book (love that hard-copy) for each of the main components that is in a series so they all tie-in together (mesh good)! That would really make it more consumable.

Intrigued

Comment

• Corey
                Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                • Aug 2002

I found it hard to find good books on learning WinAPI32 and MFC for some reason. Buy you are right, there's tons of awesome forums out there with people who will help you along the way. Don't forget us little people. :o

Comment

• csd214
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2001

Magnificent, Intrigued. I like your go-ahead spirit; SQL, PHP, C++... I back up your choice of language level. You have passed the entrance exam at the University of DLL. The day you come up with MailWithAttachement.dll, you'll get your Professor appointment.

Additionally, you have an eye for the beauty of your backyard. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X