• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digitalsr2
    Forum Member
    • May 2005

Upgrade Adobe Acrobat to 7.0

Ok, I've searched through the forums and found different things about this but none seem to work. Maybe I'm doing them wrong.

This is what I am trying to do. I am making and application update CD to deploy to 400+ machines. I want to upgrade everyone's adobe to 7. The probelem is, some people have 5.0 and some have 6.0. The uninstall process is different for each. What is my best solution?
  • TJ_Tigger
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Sep 2002

I would suggest that you create a function for uninstalling version 5 and a function for uninstalling version 6. Then after doing your check if the version is >= 5 and < 6 then uninstall version 5 else if the version is >= 6 or < 7 then uninstall version 6. I don't know if there is a central way to unintsall both versions unless the installer for version 7 will do it for you.

Tigg
    TJ-Tigger
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
    Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

• Intrigued
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Dec 2003

How about just alerting the user they need the latest version (7.x at this time) and installing such. And then not deal with the uninstall of the others?

That's how I do such on my computers and it seems to never have created a problem.

Or, am I missing a critical point?
      Intrigued

Comment

• eric_darling
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Jun 2002

The path of least resistance is always a good point to make. It's true that when the new 7.0 version gets installed, it should take command of the PDF file association. This will render the other versions basically useless, but nonetheless not harmful. So, good solution for programming in a hurry.

Of course, Tigger's way is also good. That's the more complete solution, and something that users might appreciate - especially if they had the option to go through with the uninstall of previous versions or leave them alone. Nice to be flexible and what not.
        Eric Darling
        eThree Media
        http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• Intrigued
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Dec 2003

Another consideration that must be taken into account (unless you know the Operating System, R.A.M count for each machine in a LAN for example) is that there are System Requirements that must be met before installing Acrobat Reader 7.x

Quoted from one of Acrobat's Websites (http://www.adobe.co.uk/products/acro...eqs.html#70win):

Adobe Reader 7.0 system requirements
          Windows

* Intel® Pentium® processor
          * Microsoft® Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
          * 128MB of RAM
          * Up to 90MB of available hard-disk space
          * Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher
          As you can see... the biggest sticking point (or that may be) is that Acrobat Reader 7 is not intended to be installed on Win9x or WinME!
          Intrigued

Comment

• digitalsr2
            Forum Member
            • May 2005

All the requirements are met. The thing is, this is for a government agency and deploying it must be as simple as possible. The agency DOES not exepct users to do anything. The CD must do it all. So, I must somehow detect if they have 5 or 6 (PRO version, not reader), and then remove it. Then install 7 standard.

Comment

• digitalsr2
              Forum Member
              • May 2005

Would I use an if else statement? If folder acrobat 5.0 exists then uninstall?

I wasn't sure how to use if else in this manner.

Comment

• digitalsr2
                Forum Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by TJ_Tigger
                I would suggest that you create a function for uninstalling version 5 and a function for uninstalling version 6. Then after doing your check if the version is >= 5 and < 6 then uninstall version 5 else if the version is >= 6 or < 7 then uninstall version 6. I don't know if there is a central way to unintsall both versions unless the installer for version 7 will do it for you.

Tigg

I understand you logic. I can't seem to get a grasp on the else if functions in autoplay studio. can you give me an actual example.

How would I verify version? i could check if a folder exists for 5.0 I guess. But then how do i incorporate those variables in the code?

Comment

Working...
                X