• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alimbagirl
    Forum Member
    • May 2005

Power Point files to run as .pps

I am creating a training CD. I want the user to click on the button and have it open a Power Point presentation in a slide show. When I use file.open I choose the .pps file. However, when I test the program it opens the file in ppt, not pps.

I have spent the past 90 minutes researching the forum and am still unable to understand or effectively excecute the file.run option that uses the viewer.

Please help.
  • ovm
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Oct 2002

Only 90 minutes?

anyway,

how did you save the PPS from PP? Save as Powerpoint Show?
    Or did you manualy changed the extension?

I think the best way is to inculde the PP-viewer on your project CD (free from the MS website).
    Then access your (real) PPS file as argument.
    Even users without PP installed (I hate PP) can see your PP show.
    Be sure the mediafiles are copied to the right folder on your CD, otherwise PP will search for your computer and folders at home, and can not find it (without notification)....

gr mario
    programming is very easy, just put the characters in the right order....

Comment

• yosik
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jun 2002

Copied from the help file:

Run the Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer Directly from the CD-ROM
      It is much easier to simply require your users to install the PowerPoint Viewer themselves from the Microsoft website. You can then simply use a File.Open action to view the PPT file. If you require another option, please read the following information, but be aware that Indigo Rose can not provide you with further assistance or legal guidance on implementation details.

Download the PowerPoint viewer from Microsoft's website (ppview97.exe).

Create a folder named 'PowerPoint' in the root folder of your distribution (CD_Root).

In the 'PowerPoint' folder, create two folders: Installer and Setup.

Copy the PowerPoint Viewer installation file (ppview97.exe) to the 'Installer' folder.

Right click 'ppview97.exe' and click 'Open With WinZip'.

Note: If you do not have this option, then you do not have WinZip installed. Download WinZip from www.winzip.com.

WinZip opens a window with all files from ppview97.exe listed. Double click 'PPView1.cab'.

Select all files within 'PPView1.cab', and copy them to the 'PowerPoint' folder that you created earlier.

Note: Be sure to copy all of the files to PowerPoint, and not to subdirectories. When this step is completed, all the files should be in the 'PowerPoint' directory; Installer will contain only ppview97.exe, Setup will be empty, and there will be no other folders.

In the 'PowerPoint' folder, delete the following:

· Acmsetup.exe
      · Acmsetup.hlp
      · Mssetup.dll

Move 'ppview.dll' to the Setup folder.

Your folder tree should look similar to this:

CD_Root
      +PowerPoint
      ++installer
      ++setup

PowerPoint contains 24 files, and two subfolders: Installer and Setup.
      Installer contains just ppview97.exe.
      Setup contains just ppview.dll.

Change the extension of your PowerPoint presentation from PPT to PPS.

Use the following action to open the PPS file:

path_short = File.GetShortName(_SourceFolder);
      File.Run("PowerPoint\\PPVIEW32.EXE", path_short .. "\\Autoplay\\Docs\\mercedes.pps", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, false);

Note: The Microsoft PowerPoint viewer is not installed on the user's system. It is run directly from the CD-ROM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applies to:

Standard Edition

Professional Edition

Hope it helps
      Yossi

Comment

• jrak
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Oct 2005

I'm trying to incorporate a PowerPoint Slide Show into a presentation and believe I've followed all the steps pretty carefully. However, I get the following message when I try to run it:

Page 7 -> Button 3 -> On Click, Line 2: Argument 5 must be of a type boolean.

Here's the action that I used to open the PPS file:

path_short = File.GetShortName(_SourceFolder);
        File.Run("PowerPoint\\PPVIEW32.EXE", path_short.."\\Autoplay\\Docs\\holland show.pps", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, FALSE);

Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Thanks!

Comment

• Worm
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jul 2002

Lua is case sensitive, change FALSE to false and you should be good to go.

Comment

• jrak
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Worm
            Lua is case sensitive, change FALSE to false and you should be good to go.
            Thanks, I did that and it worked. I discovered one other thing that might be useful to others using this technique. I had to save the PowerPoint presentation as a 97 file, before converting it to PowerPoint slide show, otherwise it would not work.

Comment

• jrak
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jrak
              Thanks, I did that and it worked. I discovered one other thing that might be useful to others using this technique. I had to save the PowerPoint presentation as a 97 file, before converting it to PowerPoint slide show, otherwise it would not work.
              I've discovered that PowerPoint 97 viewer does not play narration tracks while the latest version of the PowerPoint viewer. Does anyone know if the workaround for the 97 viewer can be applied to the latest viewer?

Comment

Working...
              X