• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andrewr
    Forum Member
    • May 2005

AMS crashes, freezes on build/preview

I really like the software, but I'm experience an enormous amount of instability with it. I'm using Win2000. Quite often when I try to do a Preview, the whole program freezes. It doesn't happen on every build, just very frequently. I don't know what the deal is. I'm attaching a screenshot. It's also done this a couple time while importing pictures. I've tried waiting it out, but it never returns. The only solution is the old three finger salute. During one session of working on a project, I have to restart AMS approximately 20+ times. On the plus side, it has definitely helped ingrain the habit of saving before every build.

I have the latest AMS version and all updates to Win2k.
    Anyone heard of something similar to this before? Or know of any incompatibilities with Win2k?
    Attached Files
  • Brett
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jan 2000

That is definitely not a widespread problem. I have never heard of that happening. Does it ever happen with a blank project or one of the default template projects that we ship with AMS50? What types of images are you using in your project? Sometimes Photshop images (.psd) files can cause problems. Are you running antivirus software?

Do any other programs give you hassles? We have had several situations over the years where the problem ended up being bad RAM and once a bad motherboard.

Have you tried building on a different system?

Comment

• andrewr
      Forum Member
      • May 2005

Thanks for the good suggestions. I never thought to try building with a default template. I'll try to use a template with the same plugins (SQLite + Combobox).

...just tried using the blank and templates. It didn't crash at all. I must've hit build at least 20 times. Changed back to my project - CRASH on the second time. Note that it crashes at the same instant I hit Preview. Nothing even begins to scroll in the Preview window.

-I have not yet tried building on another machine (no free ones at the moment)

-There is no antivirus software running when it crashes.

-I'm using jpg and png images. Note, the image issue has only happened about twice, and I think it's from choosing an image and selecting OK before it's had a chance to copy to the project directory.

I've thought about it being the RAM, but the computer has never crashed with anything else, including any other graphic editing programs, which hog tons of RAM. I plan to defrag tonight and see if that helps. After that I'll try reinstalling.

Comment

• andrewr
        Forum Member
        • May 2005

Can you list the steps taken on a build? I can't read the text fast enough. I want to go through and see what's happening.

Comment

• shariya
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jan 2005

try this

I see this propleme everytime I format my harddrive and install AMS,
          but it is easy to solve it.

1.uninstall AMS
          2.Reinstall AMS again

It work fine !!!!

Comment

• yosik
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jun 2002

In order to pinpoint the problem, I would suggest you try your project page by page. Delete all pages save page 1. Preview. Undo, Delete all but page1 and 2. Preview...etc.. Till you hit a snag. Then you start to work on the objects in that page... Just work systematically
            Good luck
            Yossi

Comment

• andrewr
              Forum Member
              • May 2005

It doesn't look good...

Per shariya's suggestion, I reinstalled. I thought the problem went away because it didn't happen, well, didn't happen for a while at least, and then - CRASH.

Tried removing pages, no luck. Got it to crash with all my original pages removed and only a blank page.

Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure it won't crash on the templates. I've tried building them a bunch and it hasn't, but that doesn't mean it won't. Sometimes it goes a long time without crashing.

Comment

• Eagle
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Mar 2005

..Brett may have hit on a 'system issue' ..if your graphics card is remotely
                suspect..you may find that AMS will show this up..I had an issue with
                AMsPro 5020 ...intermittantly freezing ...been running for over 10 hours.

Went to do another build...crash.

Reinstalled AMS ..all was fine..for a while..swapped-replaced graphics card
                ..never had any further problems. it was not AMS ..it was a suspect Gcard.

One thing though..if you build from a default theme..no probelms so far.

You may find your .png projects may be 'corrupt.

try loading it and exporting-saving all your code to Lua's..start a new project and import your code-lua file-s as you go..

Comment

• andrewr
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2005

Just as an update to anyone who has similar problems...

I defragged my computer and the problem *appears* to be gone. Hopefully for good, but we'll see. I defragged right after that last post, so it's been a few weeks with no hitches.

Comment

• Corey
                    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                    • Aug 2002

Cool beans. Glad ot hear you are problem-free. :yes

Comment

• Simon S
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2005

I absolutely love this program.

Comment

• Corey
                        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                        • Aug 2002

Thanks Simon! We love Nanaimo, so that makes us even... :yes

You should consider adding Nanaimo to our frappr sometime.

Comment

Working...
                        X