• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Firenegn
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Aug 2002

List Box Object Frustration

Help, I just recently upgraded to AMS4.0 I'm somewhat frustrated with the minimal amount of help that comes with the product. I think part of the problem is my own lack of knowledge in programming, but that's what I like about AMS. What I'm trying to do now is create a List Box Object in which I can list 20 to 30 Word Doc.s that I've created. Then when the user scrolls through the list they can select a word doc from the list, double click on it and it will open up. What I'm doing is creating a List Box Object with each Word Doc listed, then I attempt to attach a file.open action to each of the list items. It will not let me choose a different file for each item listed. I know I'm missing something. How do you assign a different action to each item in the List box object. Am I looking at this the wrong way? Any help would be apprieciated. Just no laughing.
    Thanks
  • Derek
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • May 2001

Re: List Box Object Frustration

<perhaps this would have been better posted under AMS4 - General>

Hi - this post may help [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"Just no laughing" - none of that here ... we're all here to learn and help each other! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    -
    = Derek
    ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• Firenegn
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Aug 2002

Your right, I should have listed it under General. Oops. My bad. I saw the post that you referenced. I'd actually read it earlier. I don't need to have it run an application specific program like Acrobat. I'm just trying to figure out how to input a new action for file.open on each individual List Box Item I enter. I'll take you step by step through what I'm doing...and hopefully you can spot my mistake. Or give me a clue as to what I'm not seeing.
      Say I'm starting with a blank page, I select list box object from the top of the menu. Then under the "List Box Objects Properties Box.. I list 3 files. WordDoc1, WordDoc 2, WordDoc 3. The next tab on the List Box Objects Properties Box is Attributes. Under Attributes Name I'll just leave it as listbox1. Now the third tab is Actions..this is were it all kinda falls apart for me. What I want to do is assign an action to each of the 3 items I listed under the List Box Items (WordDoc 1, WordDoc2, WordDoc 3.) I want the action to open a different file for each one. If the user double clicks on WordDoc1 it opens WordDoc 1 and so forth. The problem is when I select file.open under the actions tab it won't allow me the option of entering a different file location for each Object Box Item I have listed under the properties box. If I change it under one, it changes in the other two also. I know I'm looking at this wrong. Does this make any sense to you? Thanks for not laughing.

Comment

• Derek
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • May 2001

I guess Lorne beat me there

Have a look at a tutorial yu can download here. The approach in there is the same as what yu want.
        -
        = Derek
        ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• Bruce
          Indigo Rose Customer
          • Jun 2001

Try this, my original issue was in the 4.0 bata testing forum so it's not listed in General. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best of luck!

Bruce

10827-opendocs.zip

Comment

• Firenegn
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Aug 2002

Yipee, it finally worked. Thanks to all three of you (Derek, Bruce, Lorne) all of your input was very valuable. I see that I will learn a lot from this forum. And I will surely be posting more questions in the future. I've gotta lot to learn.
            Thanks again

ReneFireGuy

Comment

• FordCorsair
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2004

more List box frustation

Unfortunately the links don't work for me, however they are over two years old, and the limitations of my internet access (via a University) has surfer control Accessed Denied warnings when I try the opendocs.zip.

I need this process explained a simply as possible 'cos my brain is aching...

Comment

• JimS
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • May 2003

Welcome to the Forums,

I’m not sure about those links, as you say, they are a couple of years old. Here, I cooked you up a new example.

This assumes that Win Word is installed on user’s computer.

What year is your Corsair?
                Attached Files

Comment

• FordCorsair
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2004

thanks for the AMS4 zipped file, looks like just what I need to unravel this list box mystery... My Corsair is a 1966 Crayford Convertible (ex 'River Cottage' to those from the UK)

Comment

• JimS
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • May 2003

I hope it helps. Your Corsair sounds cool. I used to have a ’65 Falcon.

Comment

• Intrigued
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Dec 2003

I use to get to drive a buddy's 1964 Ford Falcon! Nice little car till I lost the gas cap somewhere on a Texas highway! Ack! Boy, I felt bad... I never did find that gas cap...
                      Intrigued

Comment

• JimS
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • May 2003

That's funny, the only original piece my Falcon was missing was the gas cap too. Brings back fond memories. It had a strong 289cid, and could really get those tires spinning.

Unfortunately, I sold it to help finance a wedding ring for my now ex-wife. Wish I would have kept the car.

Comment

Working...
                        X