• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2000

Capturing Text to Web

MC,

I really like the .mov's you created. Very cool. Here's my question and I would appreciate your help. I am designing several research projects using AMS. The participants will get the CD, respond to questions by entering text (radio buttons, text boxes, etc.) and I would like that data to be submitted to the web. Completed forms would be captured to a database. I have a working asp form that does something like that now, not from a CD. It's making that connection that I'm interested in.

But I need a walk through using AMS 4.0 on how to set up the CD, to connect to the web and capture the data. I've looked at a little php and thought maybe that would help?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Re: Capturing Text to Web

OK here you go, as always you need quicktime 5+ to watch these movies, if you don't have it, get it here for free:

QuickTime 7.7.9 improves security and is recommended for all QuickTime 7 users on Windows

get part 1 of the video here

And part 2 here:

And get the project files by clicking on "attachment" under my name to the left.

In part 1 we create the mySQL database and php code. In part 2 we create the AutoPlay Media Studio Application and integrate it with our php/database.

Feedback is welcome, did this video help you or could you have learned this just as easily by simply looking at the project file?

10699-web_submit.zip

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

• njlech
      Forum Member
      • May 2001

I can definitely say that for someone with little or no experience with MySQL and PHP, the videos are a very valuable learning tool. Ties everything together quite nicely.

Great job once again!

Comment

• Corey
        Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
        • Aug 2002

nijech you should definitely snag this for free:

You won't believe how easy yet powerful it all is...

Corey Milner

Comment

• Michael
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2000

Hi MC,
          Thanks for the tutorial. I really appreciate your work. It is very helpful indeed. I think many of us are amazed at what IR is doing and how responsiive you guys are. Just great!

On another project, we are using an asp page for entering data to a microsoft access database, since that server does not have mysql or php installed. Is this a similar process? or would you suggest a way to access "access" directly from AMS? and load the data from the CD to fields?

Thanks again for all your efforts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• Corey
            Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
            • Aug 2002

Yes certainly it would be similar. Just use an ASP form which connects to the database and then writes your values to a new entry, that's all you need. But from the standpoint of AMS it would be exactly the same, you're just posting your data to the form, AMS could care less whether the form is ASP, PHP, Perl, or whatever, it just posts thevariables to it...

It's up to the form to do the rest. I assume it's pretty easy to write an ASP form to write to access, as you can see in the tute it's very, very simple in PHP. I personally have never worked with either ASP or access whatsoever though...

PHP is something like 44% faster than ASP in benchmarks. And MySQL is truly efficient, in fact I have heard that PHP and MySQL enjoy the most transparent integration of any database/scripting language out there. I can say that MySQL has never let me down.

On the other hand ASP and access seem to fail all the time from what I've seen. Horror stories of those two abound in the corporate IT world...

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
            X