• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longedge
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Aug 2003

Version tracking/distribution to clients with AMS

I had one of those "what a good day" days today. Came up with a working solution to a problem using AMS.

Problem - A new VB database front end is very sluggish because all the clients are running it off the server. Tried copying it onto a local hard drive and running it from there which solves the problem, but then how to be sure that clients are using the latest version?

Resolution - Open it with an AMS app that checks for then creates if necessary a known folder in root of C: and does same for the exe file in that folder (this is copied across from the server if not present). If it is present then check on the server file attributes creation date compared with the file on C:. If the one on the server is later than the local copy then overwrite it and finally open it and close AMS.

Took about 45 minutes to produce a working solution when the boss had said we'd need a couple of days to resolve it - well says I, don't I keep telling you that AMS5 is the dogs wotsits
  • rhosk
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Aug 2003

I say longedge deserves a raise!!! All in favor :yes

When this is said and done, you can show the boss the thread
    Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Brett
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Jan 2000

Yeah, AMS50 is great for making utility apps. We use it for that inside our company all the time.

Comment

• Protocol
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Oct 2002

"the dogs wotsits"

lol

I used AMS to automate the loading and QC'ing of MP3 players for mass distribution on QVC. It was awesome. I even set it up to automate the process over a network so that multiple stations could produce hundreds of product an hour, whereas it was scheduled to take manual labor far, far longer.

Thinking back, I even used AMS to batch process, rename and encrypt hundreds of source files for that job (16 hours worth of material converted into highly compressed WMA's). I use it for everything...

I wonder if I can automate the process of calling my mom this Mother's Day...hmmm...

AMS is definately "the dogs wotsits".
        "White-colla-AMS-gangsta."

Comment

• Adam
          Indigo Rose Staff Member
          • May 2000

It also works well for prank programs that you leave on co-workers machines when they call in sick.. for example

Adam.

Comment

• Intrigued
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Adam
            It also works well for prank programs that you leave on co-workers machines when they call in sick.. for example

Adam.
            Ya! That one made it around the 'Net. Also, how's Brett feeling?

Intrigued

Comment

• Protocol
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Oct 2002

Funny you say that...

My co-worker and I took a screenie of another co-worker's desktop, then we layed on some random Photoshop-created pics of the virus scanner with a false-detected series of nasty, nasty viruses. Then we added some other tiny windows that said "Formatting Drive C:\", etc.

It looked terrible. But we didn't stop there. In AMS, I took that solid BG image and used that as the BG of an AMS app in KIOSK mode. That way, you could move the mouse all over the screen clicking it to no avail. I then added a keystroke thing similar to Ctrl-Alt-Del that switched to another page that displayed a bluescreen-o-death with text that said something similar to

"Windows cannot continue with format of drive C:\. Error at location XX011-JFAS-33XX - no files found at specified location.

Cannot locate Operating System. Please insert Windows Installation Disc to continue format."

So when he walked in, his desktop displayed the Virus detections. When we Ctrl-Alt-Del'd (or at least seemed to), it took you to the blue error screen.

It was halarious. He was calling his friends for tech support for about 15 minutes before we told him. We silently drew straws to determine who was going to be the one to do it...lol...

AMS can be quite the party-toy...
              "White-colla-AMS-gangsta."

Comment

• longedge
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by rhosk
                I say longedge deserves a raise
                Ron,

If it were possible you would just have gone up in my estimation. You are obviously a man with clear vision and a deep understanding of the true value of things

Sadly I'm surrounded by fools at work who simply can't see the infinite usefulness of AMS but I'm working on that

Comment

• rhosk
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Aug 2003

I hear you and totally understand! Keep pressin'!!
                  Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Corey
                    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
                    • Aug 2002

I say longedge deserves a raise!!! All in favor
                    Hear, hear! Errr, hare hare! :yes :yes :yes :yes :yes :yes :yes :yes :yes

Innovators are always one step ahead on the facts and two steps behind in the credits, get used to it, that's the price of being ahead of the curve. On the other hand you have to admit it's aaaaaaaaaawful nice being one step ahead of everyone else all the time.

Comment

• Intrigued
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Dec 2003

Sadly I'm surrounded by fools at work who simply can't see the infinite usefulness of AMS but I'm working on that
                      Looks like you get to look good when the company needs an app. created in the R.A.D.. They rest just get to praise your offerings!

Intrigued

Comment

• longedge
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Corey
                        hare hare!

Comment

Working...
                        X