• pata
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2004

Daily Planner

Has anyone created a Daily Planner???
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

I started one once but never got finished. 'Taskmaster" I called it. Perhaps I'll dust it off if I get time sometime. Other than that, I've not heard of one yet but I'm sure someone has made one by now... :yes

Comment

• Brett
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Jan 2000

Not to hijack the thread, but this reminds me of a book I am reading:

"Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity"
      by David Allen

I am about half way through. I can't reccomend this book highly enough if you have piles of papers everywhere and a bloated inbox. His basic premise is that it is all of the "open loops" in a knowledge worker's life that cause them to be stressed and unable to get into the "zone" while working. His system is based upon making an immediate decision about everything coming into your "in" pile (box, whatever). Even if the decision is to do nothing about it right now. One of my favorite rules is, "if it can be done in less than 2 minutes, do it immediately".

He presents a very practical system to help you deal with everything that you have bombarding you all day long. Just thought I would share it with all of you. From Amazon.com's review...

With first-chapter allusions to martial arts, "flow," "mind like water," and other concepts borrowed from the East (and usually mangled), you'd almost think this self-helper from David Allen should have been called Zen and the Art of Schedule Maintenance.
      Not quite. Yes, Getting Things Done offers a complete system for downloading all those free-floating gotta-do's clogging your brain into a sophisticated framework of files and action lists--all purportedly to free your mind to focus on whatever you're working on. However, it still operates from the decidedly Western notion that if we could just get really, really organized, we could turn ourselves into 24/7 productivity machines. (To wit, Allen, whom the New Economy bible Fast Company has dubbed "the personal productivity guru," suggests that instead of meditating on crouching tigers and hidden dragons while you wait for a plane, you should unsheathe that high-tech saber known as the cell phone and attack that list of calls you need to return.)

As whole-life-organizing systems go, Allen's is pretty good, even fun and therapeutic. It starts with the exhortation to take every unaccounted-for scrap of paper in your workstation that you can't junk, The next step is to write down every unaccounted-for gotta-do cramming your head onto its own scrap of paper. Finally, throw the whole stew into a giant "in-basket"

Comment

Working...
      X