• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocro05
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Mar 2005

video problem

Hello,

I created a video presentation tru photo story 3 from microsoft, i burned the presentation on a cd, a few people who i gived the presentation couldn't watch the presentation they got a white screnn, the video presentation didn't started
    Any idea what i can do that my presentation will work on ny computer?

regards
    rocro
  • AXXESS
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2001

Regardless of the format you choose, you need to make sure that the computers you intend to view it on have the codec for that format installed.

If you use video encoded for Windows Media, the built-in AMS dependency checker works very well to determine if the proper Windows Media codec in installed...

Here is a link to a similar thread...

Link

Comment

• Brett
      Indigo Rose Staff Member
      • Jan 2000

How does this relate to AMS50? Are you launching the video story from AMS?

Comment

• rocro05
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Mar 2005

Hello,

Is it correct that if o convert a .wmv file in to a .mpeg1 file that on 95% of the computers the presentation would work?

I just convert it to .mpeg1 but the original file was 1.30 mb after comverting it to .mpeg1 it's almost 6 MB.

So my questions is:

1) Works .mpeg1 on 95 of the computers
        2) Is there no way to make a.mpeg2 file smaller?

And what if i add a link for the lastest window media, if people download that in case the video didn't work would the video run 100% if they download the lastest version of windows media player?

Thanx for your help
        Regards
        Rocro05

Comment

• AXXESS
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2001

Hi,

If your users are prompted to download and install the latest version of Windows Media Player (currently 10), it should certainly play all .wmv files (and all video encoded with previous Windows Media codecs).

Once again, you can use the dependency checker in AMS to see if they have the proper Windows Media codec installed on their system, and prompt them accordingly if they don't have it.

Good luck! :yes

Comment

• eric_darling
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jun 2002

1) Yes. MPEG-1 is nearly universal. In terms of video playback compatibility, it's still the best thing going.

The reason that your MPEG-1 file is six times the size of your WMV file is that WMV is at least 6 times as efficient with compression. MPEG-1 is not a great choice for compression. But it's great for playback compatibility and light processor load. It's a trade-off. Each project will require you to make the choice.

2) I thought you had a WMV file? MPEG-2 didn't come up until you asked this question. But to answer it, yes, as with any format, there are ways to compress your video further.

3) If you have a properly encoded WMV file, then yes, if folks install the latest player, they should be able to view that file.
            Eric Darling
            eThree Media
            http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• rocro05
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • Mar 2005

Hello,

The best would be to keep the .wmv files because i create cd businesscard wich got just 50 MB space, and with .mpeg1 it eat to much space.

So if i understand it correctly if i provide a download link for the lastest media player so that people could download the lastest version incase the program doesn't work the problem would be fixe? Everybody should see the presentation after downloading the latest windows media player correct?

Sorry for these question but i don't knwo anything about this and i have to be 100% sure that futher presentations would work 100%, thanx for your help

Regards
              Rocro05

Comment

• rocro05
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Mar 2005

Hello,

Is downloading the latest version od window media play enough, or should you download also something like directx. I don't know what it is but i saw this also on a message on this forum.

I guess downloading the latest version of windows media player is enough but i'm not 100% sure let me know some thing ,thanx

regards
                rocro

Comment

• AXXESS
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2001

So if i understand it correctly if i provide a download link for the lastest media player so that people could download the lastest version incase the program doesn't work the problem would be fixe? Everybody should see the presentation after downloading the latest windows media player correct?
                  Yes, that is correct, if your video is encoded in Windows Media format.

Comment

• rocro05
                    Indigo Rose Customer
                    • Mar 2005

Hello,

What means encoded (sorry i'm from the netherlands my english isn't perfect) the video is created by photo story 3 this is a microsoft program i can safe it on my computer only as a .wmv file, means this that the video is media player encoded ?

Thanx for all the fast respons i got for my problem

Regards
                    Roy

Comment

• eric_darling
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Jun 2002

If your file is .wmv and it plays inside Windows Media Player, it's properly encoded.

But, remember, those folks have to download and install Windows Media Player - not just download - that, by itself, will not work.
                      Eric Darling
                      eThree Media
                      http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

• yosik
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Jun 2002

Roy,
                        As Eric pointed out, you have to make a choice between "automatic playback on almost all computers" if you encode to mpeg1 and "better compression, but need to download and install Windows media player" if you leave it at wmv.

I would like to point out something. If you are using Photostory, it means that the material you are using is stills photos, right?
                        In that case you could use a higher compression value for Mpeg1 and you will have little articrafts (small or no movement). At VCD quality (1150kbps), 1 minute will be approx. 10MB.

Yossi

Comment

• longedge
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Aug 2003

rocro05,

This thread covers everything that I could say and more. The forum is more productive/useful than private messages

Comment

Working...
                          X