• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jfolds
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2002

AVI videos

Hi, everyone. I purused the forum and haven't quite seen what I am looking for...so here it goes. My brother plays in a "death metal" band. I know...LOL We have video taped the band playing and encoded it with the Divx 5.02 Codecs. Basically, how would I execute the Divx Player under C:\Program Files\Divx\Player.exe using the "Play" button? I have both a install button linked to the setup on the cd, and a Play button for those that already have the codecs. Now I need to link the Play with the Player. Thanks for all replies in advanced and as you can tell I am such a newbie at this...so be kind......
  • zeroseven
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2002

Re: AVI videos

Well, I'm not the Technical help, so I can't help you with that.
    I like to consider myself the "Common Sense" etc help [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (shup up everyone [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img])

Anyway, I think that most people WONT have Divx installed on their computer. You could have the option of installing it fromt he CD for those who don't, but the Divx codec isn't exactly free. (the Free version has Spyware, crap tag-a-long's, etc with it...).

I know Divx is EXTREMELY good for compression, but like I said, not too many people actually have the codec. I would recommend that you convert it to a regular MPEG [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

That's my 2 cents [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As for Getting it to open with Divx.. you don;t exactly have to do that. Divx creates some sort of plug-in to Windows Media Player... so the movie should work fine playing in the Embedded Windows Media Player object.

Comment

• jfolds
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2002

ok, the codecs you can get from www.divx.com 5.02 and it's free. I have added the setup for it on the cd as you have suggested. So how would I get the media player to run the music video when play is selected? This is for "free" cd's to throw to the fans during concerts...thanks again.

Comment

• zeroseven
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2002

Oh right... sorry. Just took a look at the site... my mistake, it is free. The Pro version is what i was thinking about.

OK, I'm guessing at this point, you've inserted an Embedded MPEG object? If you set the thing to have no Controls as well?
        If you look at the "Advanced Options" of the MPEG, you should uncheck "Start automatically"

Make your "Play" button.. whether it be text or image. In the Actions section, select "Media Player Object"
        From there, add the "Play" thing to the actions. On the dropdown menu, select the Embedded Media Player Object

That should be all [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

• jfolds
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2002

Thank you very much. Will I have to add the videos to the file before I build. Or can I make a generic setup and just add whatever avi's I want during the burn process in Nero?

Comment

• jfolds
            Forum Member
            • Aug 2002

Guess I answered my own question. When I add the avi file to the burn process....it says object not found or something to that effect when I select play. hehe

Comment

• Derek
              Indigo Rose Customer
              • May 2001

Hi - everyhting to be included on the CD must be in the Distribution folder ... just make sure when yu reference the path in AMS it's referenced as %SrcDir%\filename.ext instead of an absolute path.
              -
              = Derek
              ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• zeroseven
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2002

indeed it is [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

That's why, like Derek said, you should put all your videos, programs, etc in the Distribution folder... THEN create the autoplay. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Otherwise, in your case, I'm guessing the Autoplay is looking for something like this:
                C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\Some Folder\Filename.exe

whereas if yah did it right, the Autoplay would "look" for something like this:
                \Filename.exe

Comment

• jfolds
                  Forum Member
                  • Aug 2002

Like this Derek? When I preview it , the error says can not be found on this page. The file is in the ditribution folder. Thanks for all the help guys....

10481-AMS.jpg

Comment

• zeroseven
                    Forum Member
                    • Aug 2002

dude, that's not where we're talking about.
                    Go back to where the Embedded Media Player object is... then, select the AVI from there.

Where the Play action is on that screenshot, change it back to selecting the Embedded Media Player object, not the source [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

• jfolds
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2002

OK, I read the help file and I see what you are saying now. Due to older compatibility issues it advises to use the ObjectAvi Handle. This is what I have...the file is selected..now what do I put for object? Told you I was an idiot. Thanks

10488-AMS.jpg

Comment

• Derek
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • May 2001

Hi - forgive my line of questioning here, but, with the screen-shots, I don't see an AVI Object behind that dialog box which makes me think it's not there, coz i know yu'll want to stretch it out to cover that boxed area on the page(?) ... you have added the AVI Object to the page?
                        Additionally, if it is added to the page it should show up in the object list box yu got on that dialog box.
                        You won't even need AviObject.Load - AviObject.Play will work on it's own if it's selected in the drop down list.

If it is added ... make sure yu havent added a Media Player Object and then try to play an AVI Object. You must use MediaPlayerObject.Play if that is the case.
                        -
                        = Derek

Comment

• jfolds
                          Forum Member
                          • Aug 2002

Ok Derek, I added the avi to the page and opened the box to encompass that area. It has "Video not available, cannot find 'vids:mp43' decompressor. I do see what you meant however about it will set itself up to play without any intervention by me....hehe....thanks

Comment

• Derek
                            Indigo Rose Customer
                            • May 2001

So by all accounts, it's the decompressor that is the problem - not the video file?

Does the problem occur with other avi files?
                            -
                            = Derek

Comment

• jfolds
                              Forum Member
                              • Aug 2002

So far...yes. It would be easier to Just make a call to the divx alpha player if already installed. Do I just drag a shortcut from where it installs by dafault to the folder and link my Play (when click on) with that?

Comment

Working...
                              X