• Show
Clear All
  • CelticDragon
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jun 2003

I'm baaaaaaack with SQL questions!

well, questionS is probably not right.... a question:

How do you do SQL?

now there's an open ended question if I ever saw one!

I have an idea for an enhancement for a CD. What I want to do is be able to store a load of personal information about someone and have the CD then display that info in a formatted sense.....

Basically what I'd like to be able to do is create a student database, with first name, surname, etc, class room number, subject 1, subject 2, course completion date and so on..... then have another user be able to log in, report on each class they have (teachers evaluation) and then the student be able to click print and have it all spit out nicely in a preformatted HTML file or similar.

Is this possible or should I stop coming up with ideas for things I just can't do!?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! Bear in mind I've NEVER been able to get my head around databases (even MS Access!) and have never done any real database design before except of course for basic Access tables and queries.

Is there anywhere I could go to get a good set of tutorials on SQL lite or how to start programming for it?

Thanks!
    Stephen
    If you can read this, i have yet to write a witty and imaginative signature.... sorry...
  • TJ_Tigger
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Sep 2002

Stephen,

What you are looking to do is more than possible, it should be very easy to accomplish. There are a few projects on the forums where people have done just what you have asked. Using SQLite as a storage option and then formatting the data for export in HTML. I have worked on a few projects that do just this, instead of students, it is customers. It tracks the customer information and what they have purchased. Similar to tracking student information and what classes they are attending.

I am not a database person, but after messing with SQLite it has become more clear. I would say the hard part is determining how to build the database. Once you have that done, retreiving the information and formatting the information into HTML is the easy part.

This is probably my favorite SQL tutorial so far.
    Here is another good one.

I would also suggest gettin the SQLite browser from Sourceforge. It helps be "see" what is in the tables.

I would also do a search on these forums as there have been numerous posts about tools and websites that have SQLite tutorials.

Tigg
    TJ-Tigger
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
    Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

Working...
    X