• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug McLean
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Jan 2005

Trouble with video

I have developed an AutoPlay with a video, but it wont play on other computers. I understand it is necessary to have DirectX version7 or higher. How can I download DirectX 7 or higher? And can I include a link with the CD that will allow the receiver to down load it?
  • Corey
    Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
    • Aug 2002

Hi. Microsoft offers that for free here:

The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime installs a number of runtime libraries from the legacy DirectX SDK for some games that use D3DX9, D3DX10, D3DX11, XAudio 2.7, XInput 1.3, XACT, and/or Managed DirectX 1.1. Note that this package does not modify the DirectX Runtime installed on your Windows OS in any way.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• Doug McLean
      Indigo Rose Customer
      • Jan 2005

[QUOTE=Doug McLean]I have developed an AutoPlay with a video, but it wont play on other computers. I understand it is necessary to have DirectX version7 or higher. How can I download DirectX 7 or higher? And can I include a link with the CD that will allow the receiver to down load it?

Comment

• Doug McLean
        Indigo Rose Customer
        • Jan 2005

Thanks Cory, I will try that.

Comment

• Corey
          Indigo Rose Staff Alumni
          • Aug 2002

Sure, yes you can do that, or you can probably find a free re-distribution license agreement at Microsoft which allows you to actually include it on your CD, you should read through their stuff, I'm pretty sure it's easy to do because almost all the hardware installation CDs I've ever gotten in my life had an "Install Direct X" button on the menu.

Comment

• Doug McLean
            Indigo Rose Customer
            • Jan 2005

I downloaded and installed DirectX9 but it still doesn't play the video.

Comment

• Demian
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2005

What king of video do you have? If it is divx you need codecs for decoding...
              If it is video cd type, then it must work on every computer..

Comment

• Doug McLean
                Indigo Rose Customer
                • Jan 2005

I don't know what all that means, altho I took the video with a kodak easy share camera and converted it to .mvy with AVS video converter so it would play on my computer. Thats what I inserted into the project.

Comment

• rhosk
                  Indigo Rose Customer
                  • Aug 2003

Convert the video to mpeg1. This will play on virtually all computers.
                  Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• AXXESS
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2001

Regardless of the format you choose, you need to make sure that the computers you intend to view it on have the codec for that format installed.

If you use video encoded for Windows Media, the built-in AMS dependency checker works very well to determine if the proper Windows Media codec in installed... :yes

Comment

• Doug McLean
                      Indigo Rose Customer
                      • Jan 2005

Well in that case AXXESS the Auto Play is not the thing I thought it was. I actually thought I could make presentations with videos that could be opened and played on other computers. I can't expect others to make changes to their computers in orderto view my adds.
                      Thanks, I guess I will have to look for something else.

Comment

• Doug McLean
                        Indigo Rose Customer
                        • Jan 2005

Ron, it is converted to mpg4, the converter I have does not list mpg1.

Comment

• Worm
                          Indigo Rose Customer
                          • Jul 2002

Video is a tricky issue. It's not AMS that can't play the video, it's the computer it's running on. As stated earlier, if the system doesn't have the codec, it'll need to be installed regardless of what you use to play the video.

Ron suggested MPEG1 because all Windows based systems can play MPEG1, not that AMS can only handle MPEG1. I'll defer to the video experts on here, but post after post has suggested that video be MPG1 for maximum compatibility.

Comment

• rhosk
                            Indigo Rose Customer
                            • Aug 2003

I'm sure Eric_Darling will be here soon, but mpeg1 will play all the way down to a WIN95 machine w/ WMP 6.2 installed (way back when days) - which is installed by default with that OS.

Doug, there a many converters out there, half of them are free. Check into tmpegenc; the free version only disallows dvd output after 30 days. Other than that, a fine conversion software. I would venture to say that mpeg1 will play on 95% of the computers out there. And with AMS' dependency to check for at least that 6.2 version, you should be GTG. You can even distribute it for free with a license agreement.
                            Regards,

-Ron

Music | Video | Pictures

Comment

• Doug McLean
                              Indigo Rose Customer
                              • Jan 2005

I downloaded plato video converter and converted to mpg1 AND IT WORKED!
                              Thanks. Now I just hope it works in other places.

Comment

Working...
                              X