• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cryopod
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2002

Another question

Why is it that some JPEG's can be imported and others cannot in AMS?
  • Derek
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • May 2001

Re: Another question

There shouldnt be a problem with importing a jpeg. If there is, there may be something wrong with the jpeg file.
    -
    = Derek
    ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

• Cryopod
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2002

Possible, but I don't think so. I created the graphic in Photoshop and saved as a JPEG. Works everywhere else except in AMS.

I have tried to import Tiff files as well and AMS does not accept them.

Kinda strange!

Comment

• njlech
        Forum Member
        • May 2001

I ran into this problem a while back also. And I found out that it matters if the TIF is saved as compressed or not.

If I remember correctly, I believe AMS does not like to import uncompressed TIFs. I suspect the same thing is happening with the JPEG. Try saving compressed and uncompressed in Photoshop, and see which one AMS likes. I'm pretty sure it will accept the compressed pics.

-Nick

Comment

• njlech
          Forum Member
          • May 2001

Ok, hold it. I may have it turned around. I did a search in the forums and found this old post by Mark on 03/07/01:

"TIF files are supported in AutoPlay 3.0, but compressed images are not. If you find that a TIF file from Digital Juice is not working, simply import it; from Digital Juice's Picture Viewer; in JPG format and everything should work properly."

But one thing I do know for sure is that you can save TIFs in Photoshop as compressed or uncompressed.

Again, I would save in both formats and see which one works. Same for for the JPEG. Sorry for the confusion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• Lorne
            Indigo Rose Staff Member
            • Feb 2001

The reason is simply that AutoPlay does not support images that use LZW (or is that LZH?) compression. (Basically, the compression used by LHA.)

I believe this compression algorithm needs to be licensed (at great cost), and it just isn't worth increasing the price of AutoPlay Media Studio to support images that were saved with this type of compression.

I think this might have something to do with the Compuserve patent, but for some reason I'm not sure. (Where's the gingko biloba when you need it...)
            --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

• Cryopod
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2002

Gingko Biloba, wasn't he a famous explorer? LOL...

Thanks for the help guys! I am going to experiment a bit on this one. Seems to me however that this is a problem that should be addressed by the AMS gods.

Comment

• Brett
                Indigo Rose Staff Member
                • Jan 2000

Here is an interesting article that sums up the whole LZW thing nicely:

Come next June, perhaps we will have GIF support! [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Brett

Comment

Working...
                X