• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roboblue
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2003

Check For Internet connection?

I have been putting a connection check for WAN links in my projects. It will give a message box if there isn't a connection. I have cable modem here, so it normally doesn't take too long to check. Well, I had some service problems and connection was dropping in and out for a few hours. I was testing a project at that time and noticed that the length of time for the application to give a response was quite a bit longer than normal (in testing, I was pinging Yahoo). Several seconds, in fact. While it was working, the application would just lock up. Not the system, but the app. Click any place on it was useless, Then after it brought up the message box, it would respond. This even surprised me. Now, I am wondering if it is worth doing a check. I am sure a customer would not trust the app if that happened while they were using it.
    Maybe just a blurb in the help file, a "ensure a connection" message box when you click the link with an ok/cancel, a small note near the link, or just do nothing if there isn't a connection. None of these particularly professional.
    What do you guys think?
  • Intrigued
    Indigo Rose Customer
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Roboblue
    I have been putting a connection check for WAN links in my projects. It will give a message box if there isn't a connection. I have cable modem here, so it normally doesn't take too long to check. Well, I had some service problems and connection was dropping in and out for a few hours. I was testing a project at that time and noticed that the length of time for the application to give a response was quite a bit longer than normal (in testing, I was pinging Yahoo). Several seconds, in fact. While it was working, the application would just lock up. Not the system, but the app. Click any place on it was useless, Then after it brought up the message box, it would respond. This even surprised me. Now, I am wondering if it is worth doing a check. I am sure a customer would not trust the app if that happened while they were using it.
    Maybe just a blurb in the help file, a "ensure a connection" message box when you click the link with an ok/cancel, a small note near the link, or just do nothing if there isn't a connection. None of these particularly professional.
    What do you guys think?
    I do these same sort of connection checks for one of my applications and I have found the same setback as well.
    Intrigued

Comment

Working...
    X